Participate in the design, implementation, and deployment of an open-source, Java- and Web-based hospital management information system and the subsequent ongoing development and maintenance of the Banda Health software for use at pilot sites, collaborating hospital sites and other church health institutions. Technical team leader responsibilities may include management of other team developers, evaluation and mentoring of junior developers, and other tasks to ensure the quality of the project code.
– Design and implement new software to support clinical data gathering and hospital management
– Maintain existing software (i.e. debugging, additional features)
– Maintain existing systems (including servers and networks)
– Gather requirements for new features from healthcare administrators and other system users
– Cooperate with Banda Health management to determine direction and priorities of future initiatives
– Communicate with key stakeholders, the OpenMRS community and professional networking groups to facilitate collaboration within the healthcare software industry
– Manage junior developers
– Minimum 5 years of experience working with a software development team
– Minimum 5 years of experience with Java or similar
– Good systems analysis and software design skills
– Self-directed, yet able to work well as part of a team
– Experience with MySQL, including database server administration
– Experience with version control systems (especially git)
– Experience with server setup and maintenance (including networking)
– Experience in a healthcare environment would be an asset
Banda Health Lead Developer
Currently all developers should be based in or near Nairobi. Special circumstances can be considered on a case-by-case basis.
For volunteers coming to work full-time on the project, a two-year minimum is expected, though longer is better. Special circumstances can be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Volunteer developers raise funds through SIM to cover their own expenses.